Seeds from the formal system is able to plant 6% of area cropped in Ghana with the informal system supplying seeds for the remaining 94%. Current output of 213MT supplies 25% of farmers with replacement of seeds every 4 years.
Soya is also produced by smallholder farmers under rained conditions. Under these subsistence methods, soya yields average only 0.8 metric tons per hectare, although soya has been demonstrated to grow at yields of as much as 4.5 metric tons per hectare under the best commercial agricultural practices in Ghana. Crop rotation of soya with maize on commercial farms in Ghana will provide for improved fertility on fields with multiple crops per year.  Although current production and consumption data for soya are not readily available, FAO estimates that Ghana imported soybean oil alone of between 2,700 and 7,826 metric tons annually between 2001 and 2007.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *